Over seventy-nine years of excellence, Columbia Sportswear Company has produced countless headgear, camping equipment, skiwear and outerwear accessories. Today it distributes its products in more than 72 countries with more than 13,000 retailers worldwide. Columbia Sportswear Company presents the Columbia Men’s Silver Ridge Convertible Pants.
The Columbia Men’s Silver Ridge Convertible Pants are thin, lightweight and designed for summer heat. It is partially elastic around the waistline and contains many zip-closed security pockets which are perfect for mountain climbing, hiking or any form of activity where you carry a lot of gear.
It is made of 100% nylon OMNI-SHADE fabric which not only blocks UV rays but also reflects it as well. The pants also come in OMNI-WICK mesh panels which absorbs sweat and evaporates it quickly.
We’ve compiled various features, pros and cons of the Columbia Men’s Silver Ridge Convertible pants below to help you decide if this is the pants for you.
Key Features of the Columbia Men’s Silver Ridge Convertible Pants
- OMNI-SHADE MAIN BODY
- 100% nylon Silver Ridge ripstop which can block UV rays
- Its tight weave construction also allows for maximum comfort and mobility
- Contains UV reflectors and UV absorbers for maximum protection
- Has the Skin Cancer Foundation Seal of Recommendation
- No need to apply unliked sunscreen
- OMNI-WICK MESH PANELS
- 57% recycled polyester/43% polyester mesh
- Pull moisture away from the body so perspiration can evaporate quickly
- Inseam: 30”, 32”, 34”
- Mesh pocket bags
- Partially elastic at the waist area
- Zip-closed security pockets
- Gusset detail
- Designed for active days in warm weather
- Part of the Titanium series
- The pants contain multiple Velcro pockets and zippers securing trips to the city and in the suburbs.
- Comes with its own nylon webbing belt with a plastic buckle
- Partially elastic waist, which allows for greater comfort and ease
- Comes with a variety of sizes and colors
- Lightweight and designed for outdoor activities
- Absorbs perspiration in the body and the fabric easily evaporates moisture
- Has good UV protection which makes it feel like you’re wearing sunscreen
- Very durable
- The pants allow your lower extremities to breathe really well
- Can easily be converted to shorts
- Offer little to no protection against rain
- Very thin and provides little to no warmth in cold weather
- Flimsy material
- Poor fit and mobility
- The light colors of the pants allow for dirt to stand out easily
- The plastic belt buckle doesn’t seem to be very durable
Columbia Sportswear Company is an old company known for their quality outdoor gear and apparel, however, that doesn’t necessarily mean that all of their products are top notch. So the question is, “Do the Columbia Men’s Silver Ridge Convertible Pants live up to its advertising?”
According to review sites, the Columbia Men’s Silver Ridge Convertible Pants are lightweight, inexpensive and have an innovative design meant for active intense activity. Some sites say it provides a tight fit and is easily adjustable but they do point out that it may be tight in certain areas such as the crotch, which makes hiking and camping a little bit uncomfortable.
Sites also state that the pants dry quickly but they offer little rain protection which is a big downside, since weatherproofing is very important in outdoor apparel.
However, the Columbia Men’s Silver Ridge Convertible Pants is praised for its breathability and utility, its meshes allow for easy breathability and its multiple pockets are very useful for camping or construction work.
Just like the site reviews, customers complained that it was too tight in the crotch area, this form of discomfort isn’t something you would want to have on long hiking trips or camping trips. Some customers even complained about the crotch seams opening or tearing if you put enough stress on the pants.
Aside from the discomfort, customers also complained about its restricted mobility when doing extreme outdoor activities like mountain climbing. Another complaint was that the zippers were not good quality and may easily break from time to time.
On the positive side more customers find it comfortable to use during hot summer days because of its light weight, having meshes that allow your legs to breathe plus exceptional UV protection.
Customers also like that it dried very fast (less than an hour). Customers also like its ability to convert from pants to shorts. And most importantly, customers loved the nylon belt that comes with it and its adjustable waistline.
Is it the pants for you?
So is this the pants for you? As we can see, the Columbia Men’s Silver Ridge Convertible Pants has a lot of attractive features and was clearly designed for hot weather.
If you like hiking and trekking in hot areas such as deserts or love to walk in the heat of the summer sun, then this pants is definitely the right one for you. But if you decide to use it in cold or wet weather then expect a lot of disappointment.